FILE – In this illustration provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in January 2020 shows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). This virus was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China. (CDC via AP, File)
UPDATED 7:14 AM PT — Monday, February 3, 2020
Health officials in California confirmed an 11th case of coronavirus in the U.S. On Sunday, authorities from both Santa Clara County and San Benito County confirmed three new cases of the deadly virus.
Two of those people were husband and wife in San Benito. Neither of them have left the house since finding out they have the virus. In the meantime, a family in Santa Clara has been quarantined after a woman sought medical help after returning from a trip to Wuhan, China, which is where the virus was first detected.
Authorities are still not sure how the coronavirus spreads from person-to-person.
“There has been some question at this point whether people who are not symptomatic, but infected, can spread this even before they develop symptoms — we don’t know the answer to that,” said Dr. Marty Fenstersheib, health officer in San Benito County. “The CDC is looking into that and trying to figure out, with the information our researchers are doing, whether indeed you can spread it.”
This comes as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced more flights to evacuate American citizens from virus-stricken China. He made the announcement during a news conference Sunday, while meeting with Uzbekistan’s prime minister. The announcement comes after nearly 200 Americans were evacuated from Wuhan, China last week and placed under a 14 day federal quarantine.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during a joint news conference with Uzbekistan’s Foreign Minister Abdulaziz Kamilov following the talks in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, Monday, Feb. 3, 2020. (AP Photo)
Secretary Pompeo said the flights will be scheduled within the next couple of days and the U.S. may bring back citizens from other countries as well. He made the following comments regarding the move:
“Yes, we have a handful more flights that will be heading to China to bring Americans back home from Hubei Province. The exact timing of those, we’re still coordinating with the Chinese government. We anticipate that they will happen in the next handful of days and we’ll return those American citizens. We may well end up bringing some citizens back from other countries as well. We’re working through the details on that.”
Moving forward, U.S. officials will continue to work closely with the Chinese government to resolve the coronavirus global epidemic. So far, the virus has killed over 360 people and infected over 17,500 worldwide.