Inauguration Generating 'Online Chatter' But 'No Specific Credible Threats' A sign welcoming the new president and vice president is displayed on a building near Freedom Plaza on Jan. 14, 2021, in Washington, D.C. (Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images)
By Brian Trusdell | Friday, 15 January 2021 07:11 PM
Acting Deputy Homeland Security Secretary Ken Cuccinelli says there is a ''good deal of online chatter'' about the presidential inauguration but ''no specific credible threats.''
Appearing on CNN Friday, Cuccinelli said there was heightened concern among national security officials following the breach of the U.S. Capitol building last week, but suggested there was little, if any, actionable intelligence.
''There’s no specific credible threats at this point in time,'' he said. ''There’s just this raised level of tension. And so, we’re raising our security level. And we’re doing it across the country.
"We certainly agree there's a good deal of online chatter. It isn't just about Washington, by the way. There's also conversations about state capitals but very unspecific.''
Considering the information gathered, Cuccinelli said it has been decided not to raise the national terrorism threat level.
"At this point in time, the decision has been made not to raise that level," he said.
The comments come a day after FBI Director Christopher Wray briefed Vice President Mike Pence that at this point there is only a potential, not intention, for disturbances.
''The reason I use the word 'potential' is because one of the real challenges in this space is trying to distinguish what’s aspirational versus what’s intentional,'' Wray said according to a transcript of his remarks released by the FBI. ''We’re concerned about the potential for violence at multiple protests and rallies planned here in D.C. and at state Capitol buildings around the country in the days to come that could bring armed individuals within close proximity to government buildings and officials.''