National July 4 Day Parade Canceled Again Due to COVID

National July 4 Day Parade Canceled Again Due to COVID National July 4 Day Parade Canceled Again Due to COVID (Frederic J. Brown/AFP via Getty Images)

By Eric Mack | Thursday, 08 April 2021 07:22 PM

The National Independence Day parade has been canceled for the second consecutive year due to the global coronavirus pandemic, the National Park Service announced Thursday.

"The marching units that travel from across the country to participate in the parade have not had the necessary 8-18 months to organize, rehearse, and fundraise before making the trip, and most are still unable to travel due to COVID-19 concerns," the National Park Service wrote in a statement.

"We are unable to stage a successful event without the excitement and sound provided by these high school bands, drill teams, and other youth organizations.

"We share everyone's disappointment in this decision and look forward to presenting this red, white and blue celebration of America's birthday again on July 4, 2022."

Despite the cancellation a year ago, former President Donald Trump still held a July 3 event at Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, but the Biden administration has denied a permit for another event there this year.

Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D., told Newsmax TV's "Stinchfield" last month, the move was to spite Trump.

"It looks a lot like politics at play," Rounds said. "I don't think they've got a good justification for it. The president even said he wanted to see things open up.

"Look, this is an open-air event. It's in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It's one of those things that gathers people from all over the United States, but it's also an opportunity to share freedom and about celebrating freedom across the entire country.

"The fact President Trump allowed us to open these things back up again, I think these people are biased. I just think they don't want us to follow through on a great idea."