NY Post Staff Banned From Using CNN, 3 Other Outlets as Primary Sources (Dreamstime)
By Jeffrey Rodack | Thursday, 14 January 2021 02:30 PM
Top level editors at the New York Post have ordered staffers not to use reporting from The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, or MSNBC as the primary source for their stories.
According to a story in the Times, the order was handed down by Michelle Gotthelf, editor-in-chief of the New York Post’s website. The Times noted it had been common practice at the Post and its website to publish stories based entirely on other news organization’s reporting.
But the Times said the order was unusual since it cited specific news organizations. The Times also noted the four outlets mentioned in the directive are among those often mentioned by President Donald Trump as “fake news.”
Three journalists at the Post told the Times they had no explanation why the four outlets were singled out. The Post is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Fox News.
The Hill noted the Post endorsed Trump in the 2020 election, but later urged him to concede and commit to a peaceful transition.