Prosecutor: Former Trump Adviser Peter Navarro Rejects Plea Deal (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
Sarah N. Lynch Friday, 15 July 2022 10:50 AM EDT
Peter Navarro, was was an adviser to President Donald Trump, declined a government offer to plead guilty to a contempt-of-Congress charge, the lead federal prosecutor in the case told a judge Friday.
Last month, Navarro pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor counts of contempt of Congress, after he refused to provide testimony or documents to the U.S. House of Representatives committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack at the Capitol.
At a status hearing on Friday, federal prosecutor Elizabeth Aloi told U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta about the plea offer that Navarro rejected.
Aloi said the department offered to let him plead guilty to a single count. The deal also would have required him to "comply with the January 6 committee subpoena to the satisfaction of the Justice Department."