Sen. Duckworth to Biden: Fire Postmaster Gen. DeJoy, USPS Board

Sen. Duckworth to Biden: Fire Postmaster Gen. DeJoy, USPS Board with a mask hanging off his ear, louis dejoy speaks Postmaster General Louis DeJoy speaks during a House Committee on Oversight and Reform hearing on Feb. 24, 2021 ( Graeme Jennings-Pool/Getty Images)

By Nick Koutsobinas | Tuesday, 06 April 2021 08:42 PM

Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill, tweeted out Monday to President Biden calling for the removal of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy and the sitting Board at the United States Postal Service, citing that the Board are all loyalists to the acting PMG.

"Instead of holding DeJoy accountable, the USPS Board of Governors confirmed what I always suspected was true: The 6 current members are all DeJoy loyalists. I'm re-upping my February request that @POTUS use his legal authority to remove the entire Board for cause."

The tweet comes following a letter Duckworth sent to the Board of Governors Ron Bloom March 25. In it, she mentions how DeJoy's 10-year plan to fix the postal service would come at a great expense.

"PMG DeJoy's pathetic 10-year plan to weaken USPS demonstrates that he is a clear and present threat to the future of the Postal Service and the well-being of millions of Americans, particularly small business owners, seniors and Veterans, who depend on an effective and reliable USPS to conduct daily business, safely participate in democracy and receive vital medication."

Duckworth tweeted on March 25, calling publicly for the PMG to be fired.

"My letter to the USPS Board of Governors can be summarized in two words: Fire DeJoy."

Yesterday, Duckworth posted a picture of a letter she received back from the Board. The letter states that the Postal Service "has failed to meet its service commitments for First-Class Mail for eight years, has experienced a decade of financial losses…The Governors selected Louis DeJoy as Postmaster General because we believed a transformational leader was crucial in order to position the Postal Service for long-term success."

She responded to the picture tweeting:

"A little over a week ago, I called on the USPS Board of Governors to fire DeJoy. Today, I received the letter below informing me that, 'DeJoy continues to enjoy the Board's full support…' RT to tell them how unacceptable this is."

Since DeJoy took office in 2020, he and the Board have experienced a string of scrutiny from both sides of the political aisle. House Democrats have since introduced a new plan under DeJoy, Delivering Envelopes Judiciously On-time Year-round Act, or DeJoy Act. The plan would state that 70 percent of first-class mail items would take three days to deliver, and the remaining 30 percent could take an additional two days to deliver.

Original Article