Suspended C-SPAN Host Heads Back to Work

Suspended C-SPAN Host Heads Back to Work scully speaks at a podium in a black tux Steve Scully of C-SPAN speaks at the White House Correspondents Association dinner on May 9, 2009. (Mandel Ngan/Getty Images)

Wednesday, 06 January 2021 02:31 PM

C-SPAN is bringing back its political editor from suspension after he admitted to lying about a tweet he made during the 2020 election, claiming his account had been hacked.

Steve Scully will be back at work starting this week, with initial off-air assignments as a producer and a resumption of work on C-SPAN Radio’s “Washington Today” and his podcast series “The Weekly,” Deadline reported on Tuesday. No date was set by the cable network for Scully’s return as one of its on-air hosts.

“We view October’s events as a singular episode in an otherwise successful 30-year C-SPAN career,” the network said in a statement, Deadline reported. “And while it was appropriate in October for Steve to be immediately relieved of his duties leading our 2020 election coverage, we reiterate our belief that now, having completed a three-month administrative leave, he can continue to contribute to CSPAN’s mission.”

Scully was to have moderated the second presidential debate, a town hall format, although the event was ultimately canceled.

In October, in the face of attacks from President Donald Trump, Scully posted a message on Twitter directed at Anthony Scaramucci, the former White House communications director, asking him how he should respond. The next day he claimed his account had been hacked.

In a statement in October, Scully said he “sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci … out of frustration.”

“The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked,” Scully said. “These were both errors in judgement for which I am totally responsible. I apologize.”