FILE – In this June 7, 2017, file photo, then FBI Acting Director Andrew McCabe listens during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
UPDATED 8:12 PM PT — Friday, February 14, 2020
Fired FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe will not be charged for lying to federal investigators. The DOJ declined to charge McCabe after an inspector general’s report found he “lacked candor, including under oath, on multiple occasions.”
In a statement to McCabe’s lawyers, the DOJ said, “Based on the totality of the circumstances and all of the information known to the government at this time, we consider the matter closed.”
McCabe, who is now a CNN contributor and think tank official, blasted the fact it took so long to drop the charges. He was fired in 2018 just days before receiving his pension.
“As glad as I am that the Justice Department and D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office finally decided to do the right thing today, it is an absolute disgrace that they took two years, put my family through this experience, before they finally drew the obvious conclusion they could have drawn a long, long time ago,” stated McCabe.
The news came after Inspector General Michael Horowitz alleged that McCabe lied under oath at least four times and misled his former boss, James Comey. In January, unsealed court documents showed McCabe had apologized to a bureau investigator about a media leak.
He was reportedly asked if he knew how FBI information about the Clinton Foundation ended up in a 2016 article by The Wall Street Journal. He initially denied knowing about the leak, but walked back his claim in a follow-up interview.
Despite his admission, he previously denied that he did anything wrong. When asked whether he would take a deal, he said, “Absolutely not.”
“I never intentionally mislead anyone about anything,” he said. “I will not stand up and claim something that I didn’t do.”
FILE – In this May 11, 2017 file photo, then Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe listens during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
The closure of McCabe’s criminal probe created an uproar on social media amid the controversy surrounding the sentencing of Roger Stone. Supporters of the president called out the fact that Stone was found guilty of lying to Congress while McCabe admitted to lying under oath, but has received no criminal penalty.
Many have also pointed out that other Obama-era officials have been let off the hook for their alleged misconduct under a Trump appointed Department of Justice.
The DOJ previously declined to bring charges against James Comey for how he handled the memos of his conversations with President Trump.
The president has increasingly ramped his calls for the disgraced DOJ officials to be indicted for unfairly targeting his 2016 campaign and prosecuting his advisers in the Russia investigation.
“They put a man in jail and destroy his life, his family, his wife, his children? Nine years in jail? It’s a disgrace. In the meantime, Comey walks around making book deals. What they did is a disgrace.” – Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States