Yemeni authorities say Saudi airstrike killed 31

FILE – In this Friday, Feb. 2, 2018, file photo, a Yemeni soldier allied to the country’s internationally recognized government unslings his machine gun on the outskirts of Sanaa, Yemen. (AP Photo/Jon Gambrell, File)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 10:09 AM PT — Sunday, February 16, 2020

Reports out of Yemen alleged a Syrian airstrike that killed dozens of people, in what has been described as a retaliatory act. The United Nations said as many as 31 Yemeni civilians died in airstrikes on Saturday that the country’s Houthi movement claimed were retaliation by a Saudi-led coalition.

“This is a farmer’s car who was going to Sanaa and he was targeted on the way,” stated an Arabic civilian.

In the latest flare-up in the five year Yemen conflict, the Iran-aligned Houthis claimed to have shot down a coalition Tornado warplane in the Houthi-controlled Al-Jawf province. They also released a video purporting to show a missile hitting the jet.

The area’s health ministry said women and children were among those killed in the subsequent coalition airstrikes. The UN office in Yemen stated preliminary field reports indicated 12 injured as well as up to 31 civilians have been killed.

Yemenis walk past rubble after deadly airstrikes in and near the presidential compound, in Sanaa, Yemen, Monday, May. 7, 2018. Airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition fighting Yemen’s Shiite rebels targeted the presidency building in the heart of the Yemeni capital on Monday, leaving at least six people dead and some 30 wounded, according to health officials. (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)

Coalition spokesman Col. Turki al-Maliki said on Saturday that only a Tornado warplane had crashed in Al-Jawf. Maliki later said rescue operations had been launched and that the possibility of “collateral damages” had been reported, without providing details.

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 in support of the internationally-recognized government, which the Houthis ousted from the capital Sanaa in 2014.

The conflict has been widely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and its regional foe, Iran.

RELATED: USS Normandy Seizes 150 Missiles Bound For Yemen

Original Article

S.C. authorities investigating death of 6-year-old missing girl

A Cayce police officer approaches a vehicle at a road block near an entrance to the Churchill Heights neighborhood Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020, in Cayce, S.C., (AP Photo/Sean Rayford)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 3:47 PM PT — Saturday, February 15, 2020

The tragic discovery of a missing girl’s body left South Carolina authorities with more questions than answers.

“It is with extremely heavy hearts that we are announcing that we have found the body that the coroner has identified as Faye Marie Swetlik.” stated Director of Public Safety Byron Snelgrove.

A single piece of evidence lead South Carolina authorities to the grim discovery of a young girl’s remains, as well as a local man’s body who is now considered a suspect in her murder.

This undated photo provided by the Cayce Department of Public Safety shows Faye Marie Swetlik, Feb. 10, 2020. (Cayce Department of Public Safety via AP)

Cayce Police found the body of 6-year-old Faye in a wooded area Thursday near her family’s home.

The victim’s mother reported her missing Monday afternoon. Faye was last being seen playing in her front yard shortly after returning home from her elementary school.

“I checked all the houses in my neighborhood, and anybody that’s actually answered,” stated mother Celina Collins, “They’re out looking for her too.”

Efforts to locate Faye picked up when investigators found a piece of evidence in the trash can of Faye’s neighbor, 30-year-old Coty Scott Taylor. He was later found deceased in his home, though authorities have not yet revealed his cause of death. Taylor was also previously questioned by Cayce officials in the days leading up to his death.

However, police have revealed he was not known to the victim or a relative.

While speaking Friday, Sgt. Evan Antley was visibly emotional as he discussed details of Faye’s missing persons case, what is now being investigated as a homicide.

“Again, this has been a tragic situation for our community, for our department and for everyone who has been following the story of Faye Marie Swetlik,” stated Antley. “We want to thank the community for their tips, without them, we may not be where we are.”

At this time, officials are keeping details of both deaths classified until the results of both autopsies in the coming days.

RELATED: Colo. Community Joins Search For Missing 11-Year-Old Boy

Original Article