Attorney General Barr assigns outside prosecutors to review cases

Attorney General William Barr speaks at the National Sheriffs’ Association Winter Legislative and Technology Conference in Washington, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 4:08 PM PT — Monday, February 17, 2020

William Barr took aggressive steps to ensure the cases against former Trump advisers were conducted properly. This came amid on-going allegations of misconduct on the part of the special counsel team.

Attorney General William Barr has reportedly worked on a review of the investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. Barr has assigned U.S. attorney Jeffrey Jensen to look over the handling of the case against the retired army general.

Reports said Flynn’s defense attorney Sidney Powell had fought for months to get an external review. In a letter to Barr, Powell requested a new government counsel with no connection to the Mueller probe. For months, she wrote to the DOJ and accused the former special counsel team of gross misconduct. Flynn eventually withdrew his guilty plea of lying to the FBI.

FILE – In this Feb. 1, 2017 file photo, former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn speaks during the daily news briefing at the White House, in Washington. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

Powell had previously called out the Mueller team for it’s aggressive methods.

“I think that’s why they picked him for the special council operation because he knew what a dirty prosecuter he is.” stated Powell.

Andrew Weissmann, the top prosecutor under former special counsel Robert Mueller, said no attorney general in U.S. history has involved him or herself into cases with such close ties to a sitting president.

“The question I have for him is tell me,” asked Mueller “…when have you ever reached in as the Attorney General to any other case?”

Weissmann also said the Justice Department closed the case against former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe in order to open new investigation reviews into former FBI Director James Comey and former FBI agent Peter Strzok. This came after the DOJ declined to bring charges against the Russia probe officials.

The New York Times reported over the past two weeks, U.S. attorney Jensen and prosecutors working under Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen have been questioning other line prosecutors about investigative steps and reasons for undertaking certain actions for prosecution.

The announcement of outside investigators came after Attorney General Barr along with Deputy Attorney General Rosen took control of Roger Stone’s sentencing recommendation, causing four Mueller prosecutors to withdraw in protest from a case they spent years working on.

Barr also pulled the top treasury nomination of former DCUS attorney Jessie Liu and gave her a temporary position at the treasury as the interim U.S. attorney in Washington, which will oversea all of the investigative reviews into the former Trump advisers.

RELATED: White House Responds To Barr’s Interview As Democrats Demand Resignation

Original Article

China reports over 2K new cases of coronavirus, 143 deaths

A doctor checks the conditions of a patient in Jinyintan Hospital, designated for critical COVID-19 patients, in Wuhan in central China’s Hubei province Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020. (Chinatopix Via AP)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 1:54 PM PT — Saturday, February 15, 2020

The Chinese Health Authority reported more than 2,000 newly confirmed cases of the coronavirus. It has been announced that another 143 people have died from the deadly disease.

Saturday marked the second day the number of new cases fell since a spike in the hardest hit province of Hubei began, including clinical diagnoses in its official count.

Patients at a hospital in Wuhan will receive traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine. Some are even being treated using plasma therapy, which many have seen positive results.

A worker prepares medical supplies at the Jinyintan Hospital, designated for critical COVID-19 patients, in Wuhan in central China’s Hubei province Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020. (Chinatopix Via AP)

“In our hospital there have been four patients who have received plasma from convalescent patients,” stated Zhang Dingyu, president of Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital. “At present, in a short period of time they’ve shown positive signs, their vitals are stable, they are in better condition and their blood oxygen are stabilized.”

Meanwhile, more medical workers and supplies are being deployed to the Hubei province as the epidemic continues.

RELATED: French Officials Confirm First Coronavirus Death In Europe

Original Article

Report: 5K additional coronavirus cases confirmed in China

Students line up to sanitize their hands to avoid the contact of coronavirus before their morning class at a hight school in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 5:25 PM PT — Friday, February 14, 2020

The number of coronavirus cases in China has skyrocketed over the last 24 hours. On Friday, the Chinese government reported 5,000 new cases and 121 new deaths.

Over 2,100 of those infected are in severe condition. This brought the total number of coronavirus deaths to nearly 1,400 while the total number of confirmed cases has exceeded 63,000.

China’s financial minister said the country has allocated over $11.5 billion to combat the epidemic.

“We have made every effort to ensure epidemic prevention and control funding. As of February 13th, a total of $11.52 billion (has) been allocated from all-level governments, with $5.86 billion already spent. We have also issued a notice demanding financial departments at all levels put people’s life and health first, and implement all relevant policies.” – Ou Wenhan, Chinese Assistant Minister of Finance

Moving forward, officials are working to track down and test those who have had close contact with victims.

Personnels wearing protective suits wait near an entrance at the Cheung Hong Estate, a public housing estate during evacuation of residents in Hong Kong, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Meanwhile, the U.S. military is making preparations to handle a possible pandemic of the deadly coronavirus. American troops around Asia have reportedly started enforcing a plan handed down by Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

Esper directed troops to take certain steps last month, including quarantining service members who have recently traveled to China. The protocol reportedly follows the Pentagon’s plan for dealing with the flu and other unknown diseases.

This came after the CDC confirmed the 15th case of the virus in the U.S. this week.

“The immediate risk of novel coronavirus remains low for the U.S. public at this time, (and) CDC is taking aggressive action to keep the nation safe,” the agency said in a statement. “COVID-19 represents an unprecedented public health threat and requires everyone’s continued cooperation.”

RELATED: Coronavirus Confirmed In San Diego, Calif.

Original Article

Two cases of coronavirus confirmed in Calif.

A worker wearing a hazardous materials suit takes the temperature of a passenger at the entrance to a subway station in Beijing, Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 11:35 AM PT — Sunday, January 26, 2020

On Sunday, two new cases of coronavirus were reported in California. These latest cases brought the total number of U.S. cases to four, with the other two being in Chicago and Seattle.

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed the fourth case in Los Angeles, while a third case was discovered earlier the same day in Orange County.

Reports said the patient from Orange County, who has not yet been identified, recently returned from Wuhan, China. The person is currently in stable condition at the hospital.

Local health officials recently released a statement regarding the outbreak.

“LA County is well prepared to manage cases, and suspected cases, of novel coronavirus. We are working closely with our federal, state and local partners to provide healthcare providers and the public with accurate information about actions we are taking to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus, and to care for those who are ill. The risk of transmission of coronavirus in LA County remains low.”

– Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Director of Public Health

Nearly 2,000 cases have been confirmed worldwide and more than 50 people have died as a result.

Minister of Health Patty Hajdu, left, listens as Chief Public Health Officer of Canada Dr. Theresa Tam participates in a press conference following the announcement by the Government of Ontario of the first presumptive confirmed case of a novel coronavirus in Canada, in Ottawa, on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press via AP)

This came after officials confirmed Canada’s first case of the virus on Saturday. The 50-year-old male victim reportedly traveled to Toronto from China on January 22nd and was hospitalized the next day after developing symptoms of the respiratory illness.

Ontario health officials said his family members have been put into self-isolation. The man is reportedly in stable condition.

“He had traveled to Wuhan, China and came back. Within a day, (he) became quite ill. The emergency service was aware of his travel history, used full precautions. (He) was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital and is now in a negative pressure room.”

– Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario Associated Chief Medical Officer

Health officials went on to say all staff at the hospital are taking appropriate precautions and are working to determine who came in contact with the man.

READ MORE: Hong Kong Declares Citywide Virus Emergency Over Coronavirus

Original Article