Report: 5K additional coronavirus cases confirmed in China

Students line up to sanitize their hands to avoid the contact of coronavirus before their morning class at a hight school in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 5:25 PM PT — Friday, February 14, 2020

The number of coronavirus cases in China has skyrocketed over the last 24 hours. On Friday, the Chinese government reported 5,000 new cases and 121 new deaths.

Over 2,100 of those infected are in severe condition. This brought the total number of coronavirus deaths to nearly 1,400 while the total number of confirmed cases has exceeded 63,000.

China’s financial minister said the country has allocated over $11.5 billion to combat the epidemic.

“We have made every effort to ensure epidemic prevention and control funding. As of February 13th, a total of $11.52 billion (has) been allocated from all-level governments, with $5.86 billion already spent. We have also issued a notice demanding financial departments at all levels put people’s life and health first, and implement all relevant policies.” – Ou Wenhan, Chinese Assistant Minister of Finance

Moving forward, officials are working to track down and test those who have had close contact with victims.

Personnels wearing protective suits wait near an entrance at the Cheung Hong Estate, a public housing estate during evacuation of residents in Hong Kong, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Meanwhile, the U.S. military is making preparations to handle a possible pandemic of the deadly coronavirus. American troops around Asia have reportedly started enforcing a plan handed down by Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

Esper directed troops to take certain steps last month, including quarantining service members who have recently traveled to China. The protocol reportedly follows the Pentagon’s plan for dealing with the flu and other unknown diseases.

This came after the CDC confirmed the 15th case of the virus in the U.S. this week.

“The immediate risk of novel coronavirus remains low for the U.S. public at this time, (and) CDC is taking aggressive action to keep the nation safe,” the agency said in a statement. “COVID-19 represents an unprecedented public health threat and requires everyone’s continued cooperation.”

RELATED: Coronavirus Confirmed In San Diego, Calif.

Original Article

Coronavirus confirmed in San Diego, Calif.

A plane carrying evacuees from the virus zone in China lands at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 1:32 PM PT — Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Another case of coronavirus has been confirmed in the U.S., bringing the national total to 13 cases. A California hospital momentarily released a patient who was unknowingly infected by the coronavirus.

The UC San Diego Medical Center discharged four people Sunday after botched test results came back negative for the disease. Those patients were part of a group who recently evacuated from Wuhan, China.

“Because these individuals were in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak where there is intense and escalating community-wide spread of this novel coronavirus, we consider them at high risk of exposure,” stated Dr. Christopher Braden, Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

After being released from the hospital, they were transferred to the Miramar Air Base where all China evacuees will stay in quarantine.

However, doctors said they received new test results on Monday, which showed one patient did indeed have the virus despite already being released. That person has since been brought back to the medical center, where they will stay for treatment and observation.

Meanwhile, health officials said they do not believe the patient infected any other evacuees upon her return to base. During their arrival last week, the CDC assured they offer no risk to the surrounding community.

“We know this situation may be concerning to people in the Miramar Base and surrounding community,” stated Dr. Braden. “However, based on our experience with other coronaviruses, we don’t believe these individuals pose a risk to the community because we’re doing all that we can to take the measures to minimize any potential exposures.”

Hundreds of people have been put in quarantine at the base since the start of the outbreak last month and each person must stay for at least two weeks after their arrival. The first group of evacuees is set to return home Tuesday.

RELATED: Fed’s Powell Says Economy In Good Place, Warns On Coronavirus

Original Article

Fifth case of coronavirus confirmed in Arizona

People wear masks following the outbreak of a new virus as people arrive from the International terminal at Toronto Pearson International Airport in Toronto on Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press via AP)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 3:37 PM PT — Sunday, January 26, 2020

A fifth U.S. case of the coronavirus infection was confirmed on Sunday. The Centers for Disease Control reported a new patient was diagnosed with the virus in Maricopa County, Arizona.

The Arizona Department of Health Services said the patient recently visited Wuhan, China, where most cases of the virus have been reported. The patient was reportedly a student at Arizona State University, but did not live in campus housing.

“While the immediate risk of the 2019 novel coronavirus to the general public is believed to be low at this time, ADHS and our county public health partners will continue to actively monitor for the disease,” said ADHS Director Dr. Cara Christ. “There are simple daily precautions that everyone should always take to prevent the spread of diseases.”

Map highlights areas with cases of the new coronavirus.;

Earlier the same day, two new cases were confirmed in southern California. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed the fourth case in Los Angeles, while a third case was discovered earlier the same day in Orange County.

Local health officials recently released a statement regarding the outbreak.

“LA County is well prepared to manage cases, and suspected cases, of novel coronavirus. We are working closely with our federal, state and local partners to provide healthcare providers and the public with accurate information about actions we are taking to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus, and to care for those who are ill. The risk of transmission of coronavirus in LA County remains low.”

– Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Director of Public Health

Nearly 2,300 cases have been confirmed worldwide and more than 80 people have died as a result. The Department of Health is encouraging travelers from Wuhan to contact their doctors within 14 days of feeling respiratory symptoms.

RELATED: Hong Kong Protesters Set Fire To Building Intended As Coronavirus Quarantine Site

Original Article

Two cases of coronavirus confirmed in Calif.

A worker wearing a hazardous materials suit takes the temperature of a passenger at the entrance to a subway station in Beijing, Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 11:35 AM PT — Sunday, January 26, 2020

On Sunday, two new cases of coronavirus were reported in California. These latest cases brought the total number of U.S. cases to four, with the other two being in Chicago and Seattle.

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed the fourth case in Los Angeles, while a third case was discovered earlier the same day in Orange County.

Reports said the patient from Orange County, who has not yet been identified, recently returned from Wuhan, China. The person is currently in stable condition at the hospital.

Local health officials recently released a statement regarding the outbreak.

“LA County is well prepared to manage cases, and suspected cases, of novel coronavirus. We are working closely with our federal, state and local partners to provide healthcare providers and the public with accurate information about actions we are taking to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus, and to care for those who are ill. The risk of transmission of coronavirus in LA County remains low.”

– Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Director of Public Health

Nearly 2,000 cases have been confirmed worldwide and more than 50 people have died as a result.

Minister of Health Patty Hajdu, left, listens as Chief Public Health Officer of Canada Dr. Theresa Tam participates in a press conference following the announcement by the Government of Ontario of the first presumptive confirmed case of a novel coronavirus in Canada, in Ottawa, on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press via AP)

This came after officials confirmed Canada’s first case of the virus on Saturday. The 50-year-old male victim reportedly traveled to Toronto from China on January 22nd and was hospitalized the next day after developing symptoms of the respiratory illness.

Ontario health officials said his family members have been put into self-isolation. The man is reportedly in stable condition.

“He had traveled to Wuhan, China and came back. Within a day, (he) became quite ill. The emergency service was aware of his travel history, used full precautions. (He) was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital and is now in a negative pressure room.”

– Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario Associated Chief Medical Officer

Health officials went on to say all staff at the hospital are taking appropriate precautions and are working to determine who came in contact with the man.

READ MORE: Hong Kong Declares Citywide Virus Emergency Over Coronavirus

Original Article

Second case of coronavirus confirmed in U.S.

A woman wears a mask as an employee works to prevent a new coronavirus at Suseo Station in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, Jan. 24, 2020. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 2:05 PM PT — Friday, January 24, 2020

On Friday, authorities confirmed a second case of the deadly coronavirus in the U.S. Chicago officials said a woman is in stable condition and is being treated after she returned from Wuhan, China.

The Chicago resident reported symptoms after her return and was immediately quarantined.

“Since returning from China, the patient has had very limited movement outside her home,” stated Chicago Health Commissioner Allison Arwady. “She has not taken public transportation, she has not attended any large gatherings and…she has not had extended close contact with anyone outside her home.”

The virus continues to spread in China, where officials have now reported at least 26 deaths and more than 800 cases of infection.

Wuhan is an important flight hub and it is thought that travelers from the airport could have carried the new strain of Coronavirus prior to the airport’s closing January 23

The first U.S. case of the new strain was reported on Tuesday, when a man from Washington state tested positive for the virus. He is expected to make a full recovery.

President Trump has said the U.S. is in a good position to handle any cases of the new virus. While speaking on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum on Wednesday, the president said the U.S. has a plan in place and has the situation totally under control.

“We think it’s going to be handled very well, we already handled it very well,” he said. “The CDC has been terrific, very great professionals, and we’re in very good shape.”

Deputy White House Press Secretary Hogan Gidley has also assured the American people “they are safe.” He added the administration is monitoring the situation in real time.

“The CDC has the lead on this, they have all the information, as they continue to monitor it,” said the secretary. “But the American people should rest assured that we’ve taken all the precautions necessary…and we’ll continue to do so.”

RELATED: Coronavirus: A Global Health Emergency?

Original Article

After Trump’s 9th Circuit pick confirmed, Biden warns of 2nd term ‘death grip’ on federal courts: report

closeFox News Flash top headlines for Dec. 11Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for Dec. 11

Fox News Flash top headlines for Dec. 11 are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com

While Democrats in Congress have been conducting impeachment hearings in recent weeks, President Trump has been filling judicial vacancies in the federal court system at a rapid clip – and that appears to have potential 2020 opponent Joe Biden worried.

“Look at how the federal court system is changing,” Biden told a group in Las Vegas on Tuesday night, according to a reporter for ABC News. “Four more years of the same kind of appointments, you’re going to see a court system that is fundamentally, for two generations, locked in a way that’s a death grip that does not make any sense.

“It’s as if Robert Bork would be the chief justice, God rest his soul,” Biden added, referring to the Ronald Reagan Supreme Court nominee whose appointment Democrats blocked in 1987. Bork died in 2012 at age 85.

TRUMP NOMINATES WAVE OF CALIFORNIA JUDGES, IN FRESH BID TO RESHAPE COURTS

In a 53-40 vote Tuesday, the U.S. Senate confirmed Trump appointee Patrick Bumatay, a San Diego federal prosecutor, to a seat on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, making him the 49th circuit appointee to be confirmed under the Trump administration, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

Trump was able to get Bumatay confirmed to the San Francisco-based court despite opposition to the nomination from California’s two Democratic U.S. senators, Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris.

Bumatay, 41, a son of Filipino immigrants, is openly gay and is raising twin daughters with his husband, the newspaper reported.

The Senate is expected to vote on another 9th Circuit nominee — Lawrence Van Dyke, a former solicitor general for Nevada – on Wednesday, potentially giving Trump another appointee on the traditionally liberal-leaning court, the Union-Tribune reported.

TRUMP-SHAPED 9TH CIRCUIT HANDS WHITE HOUSE MAJOR WIN ON ASYLUM POLICY

When the Senate confirmed a Trump pick for the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in late November, that court became the third to shift to a Republican-appointed majority since the president took office in January 2017.

In an 80-15 vote, the Senate confirmed Barbara Lagoa to the 11th Circuit seat previously held by Judge Stanley Marcus, a Clinton appointee who sat on the appeals court that handles cases from Florida, Georgia and Alabama since 1997.

Trump administration secures another judicial victoryVideo

Lagoa, the first Cuban-American woman confirmed to the 11th Circuit, tilted that court, which was previously split between six Republican appointees and six Democratic appointees, to a GOP-appointed majority.

Trump's nominees alone now hold five of the 12 seats on the 11th Circuit.

During the previous week, confirmation of Steven Menashi, Trump’s pick for the 2nd Circuit, flipped that court to a Republican majority.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Trump has also flipped the 3rd Circuit.

Lagoa was Trump's 48th nominee confirmed to a circuit court seat, giving the president double the number of circuit judges then-President Barack Obama had gotten through by the same point in his presidency, according to a count by the Heritage Foundation.

Fox News’ Tyler Olson contributed to this story.

Original Article