San Francisco mayor admits to romantic relationship with FMR Public Works Director

In this photo taken Friday, Nov. 1, 2019, San Francisco Mayor London Breed waits to address the annual Women In Construction Expo in San Francisco. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 4:55 PM PT — Saturday, February 15, 2020

San Francisco’s mayor London Breed admitted she had an affair and accepted gifts from the city’s disgraced Director of Public Works. She faced calls for her resignation after she links herself with one of her former subordinates, now at the center of an FBI probe.

At a news conference Friday, Breed confirmed rumors about her fling with San Francisco’s former Director of Public Works Mohammed Nuru and also admitted she had accepted $5,600 from him for car repairs. Hoping to clear the air, Breed stressed her and Nuru had been only friends in recent years and her romantic relationship with him was two decades ago.

“I’ve been asked about it by a lot of people and so I thought it was a need to tell people that to tell them about our relationship, that it is made clear.” stated the San Francisco mayor.

Breed further explained why she accepted money from Nuru in a post online. She said last year, her car broke down and Nuru, only acting as her friend, took it to a mechanic. He reportedly helped her secure a rental car later, which she said brought the the estimated value of what she owed him to about $5,600.

This Feb. 6, 2020, photo shows director of San Francisco Public Works Mohammed Nuru, left, leaving a federal courthouse in front of attorney Ismail Ramsey in San Francisco. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

Breed said she intended to sell the car, but was not able to and also stressed Nuru’s payments to her were legal and unrelated to their positions.

“Well I checked with the city attorney every step of the way whether its relationship, whether its the car, and ultimately Mohammed reported to the city administrator who made the decisions as it relates to do with that department.” stated Breed.

However, since her statements, many are calling for her to resign or temporarily step back while an investigation to take place. Citizens, as well as officials in City Hall, argue Breed broke the law.

“Allowing her subordinate to give her a gift of this size, it’s ethically wrong and but more importantly it’s a legal violation and because of that serious violation and the serious culture of corruption that pervades this city, I believe that she should voluntarily resign.” stated Hillary Ronan, member of San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

Earlier this week, Nuru left his top city position after the FBI arrested him under charges of “public corruption, bribery kickbacks and side deals.”

RELATED:6 Arrested In Public Embezzlement Case In Miss.

Original Article

6 arrested in public embezzlement case in Miss.

Republican State Auditor Shad White, right, and Hinds County District Attorney Jody Owens discuss the auditor’s office investigation of the former director of Mississippi’s welfare agency and four other people, accused of embezzling millions in federal money meant for the poor, Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020, in Jackson, Miss. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:19 AM PT — Friday, February 7, 2020

A former Department of Human Services director and five others have been accused of embezzling millions of dollars meant for low-income families in Mississippi. The case is deemed one of the largest embezzlement cases in the state’s history.

This week, state officials announced an ex-state director, a former pro-wrestler and four colleagues were arrested after they had allegedly stolen more than $4 million of taxpayer money for personal expenses.

Arrested:
John Davis, former Director of Mississippi Department of Human Services
Brett DiBiase, a former professional wrestler
Ann McGrew, a former accountant for Mississippi Community Education Center (MCEC)
Zachery New, Assistant Executive Director of MCEC
Nancy New, owner and director of MCEC
Gregory Latimer Smith, a former employee of Mississippi Department of Human Services

This all comes as part of a months-long investigation by the state’s auditor. They have been charged for supposedly using “temporary assistance for needy families” funds.

“The impact on taxpayers is they can look back and see that millions of dollars of tax payer money is gone and it’s not gone to the things it was intended to go to,” said Mississippi State Auditor Shad White. “The other impact for tax payers is that it’s stopped now, this has stopped today.”

The exact amount of money stolen has not yet been determined. Those indicted will face charges for embezzlement as well as fraud and could face several years in prison if found guilty.

OTHER NEWS: 4 dead in Indianapolis apartment shooting

Original Article

Public health emergency declared over coronavirus outbreak

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar speaks about the coronavirus in the briefing room of the White House, Friday, Jan. 31, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/ Evan Vucci)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 3:10 PM PT — Friday, January 31, 2020

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar has declared a public health emergency in response to the coronavirus outbreak. During a briefing at the White House on Friday, Azar said temporary measures will go into effect on Sunday. These measures will include suspending entry of foreign nationals, who pose a risk of transmitting the virus, into the U.S.

“At this time, the risk to Americans remains low and we are working to keep it that way,” he said. “We will continue our work to monitor, respond to and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus.”

The secretary also said any Americans returning from China’s Hubei province will be under a mandatory 14 day quarantine. Those returning from other parts of China will undergo screening and be on a self-imposed quarantine.

Azar added there will likely be more coronavirus cases in the U.S., including cases of limited person-to-person transmission. More than 200 people have died from the coronavirus in China so far.

FILE – This Wednesday, July 17, 2019, file photo shows American Airlines planes at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin, File)

The fast spreading virus has caused two major U.S. airlines to halt all flights to China. On Friday, Delta announced it was canceling all U.S. flights to China between February 6th and April 30th. American Airlines will halt flights between the two countries until March 27th.

United has canceled several flights between February 1st and 8th, but held back on canceling all flights.

The State Department issued a travel advisory on the same day, which warned Americans to avoid all nonessential travel to China.

“By imposing temporary travel restrictions on China, the president has taken decisive action to protect Americans against the Wuhan coronavirus,” stated Sen. Tom Cotton. “I commend the administration for taking the situation seriously and erring on the side of caution.”

READ MORE: World Health Organization Declares Coronavirus Outbreak A Global Health Emergency

Original Article

Va. House Public Safety Committee advances several gun control bills despite protests

Gun-rights supporters pack the hill on Capitol Square as speakers talk in Richmond, Va., Monday Jan. 20, 2020. Gun-rights activists and other groups are descending on Virginia’s capital city of Richmond to protest plans by the state’s Democratic leadership to pass gun-control legislation.(Rob Ostermaier/The Virginian-Pilot via AP)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 6:53 AM PT — Monday, January 27, 2020

A Virginia House committee has advanced several bills cracking down on gun control. This week, the House Public Safety Committee passed six measures that would add more restrictions for owners of firearms. This comes just days after thousands attended a gun rally in the state’s capital.

The legislation includes a ‘red flag law’ allowing authorities to take guns away from people who they consider to be dangerous to themselves or others. It also includes universal background checks, localities banning firearms in public, more severe penalties on unsecured guns around children and limiting firearm purchases to once a month.

Republicans are backing two of the bills stating lost or stolen firearms must be reported within 24 hours and residents under a protective order will not be allowed to possess a gun. Meanwhile, lawful firearm owners believe the bills are an infringement on their rights.

“It’s not a surprise, I mean we saw these bills coming,” said Philip Van Cleave, President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. They’re an attack on gun owners, law-abiding gun owners.”

Gun-rights supporters gather for the rally at the Capitol in Richmond, Va., Monday morning Jan. 20, 2020. Gun-rights activists and other groups are descending on Virginia’s capital city of Richmond to protest plans by the state’s Democratic leadership to pass gun-control legislation. (Rob Ostermaier/The Virginian-Pilot via AP)

However, those in favor of the measures believe they are necessary to ensure public safety.

“I started this work 13 years ago when my daughter was shot and injured at Virginia Tech, and knew then the laws were porous,” explained Lori Haas, Director of the Virginia Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. “The time is long passed due to pass these laws and I’m glad they’re finally moving in the General Assembly.”

The bills will head to a House vote before reaching the Senate.

RELATED: Virginians call for Gov. Northam’s removal, thousands protest new gun control measures

Original Article

FISA court slams FBI over surveillance applications, in rare public order

closeWhat is the future of the FBI following revealing IG report on FISA applications?Video

What is the future of the FBI following revealing IG report on FISA applications?

Reaction and analysis from Kira Davis, Tomi Lahren, and Rep. Matt Gaetz.

In a rare public order Tuesday, the chief judge of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court strongly criticized the FBI over its surveillance-application process, giving the bureau until Jan. 10 to come up with solutions, in the wake of findings from Justice Department Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz.

The order, from the court's presiding judge Rosemary M. Collyer, came just a week after the release of Horowitz's withering report about the wiretapping of former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, as part of former Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

"The FBI's handling of the Carter Page applications, as portrayed in the [Office of Inspector General] report, was antithetical to the heightened duty of candor described above," Collyer wrote in her four-page order. "The frequency with which representations made by FBI personnel turned out to be unsupported or contradicted by information in their possession, and with which they withheld information detrimental to their case, calls into question whether information contained in other FBI applications is reliable."

Horowitz said he did not find significant evidence that FBI agents were involved in a political conspiracy to undermine Trump's candidacy in 2016. However, the report did find numerous errors and inaccuracies used by FBI agents to obtain permission to monitor Page's phone calls and emails.

While Collyer's order did not specify exactly what reforms the FBI needed to implement to its policies for obtaining permission to wiretap people under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, the order did say that the FISA court will weigh in on whether the reforms are deemed sufficient.

"The [FISA court] expects the government to provide complete and accurate information in every filing with the court," Collyer wrote. "Without it, the [FISA court] cannot properly ensure that the government conducts electronic surveillance for foreign intelligence purposes only when there is a sufficient factual basis."

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

Original Article

White House defends Melania Trump’s public silence on president’s tweet mocking Greta Thunberg

closeTime names Greta Thunberg its 2019 Person of the YearVideo

Time names Greta Thunberg its 2019 Person of the Year

Magazine pushes climate change narrative by honoring teen activist; reaction and analysis on 'The Five.'

The White House is pushing back against claims that First Lady Melania Trump is being hypocritical for criticizing attacks on her teenage son Barron, but not her husband's attack on 16-year-old Greta Thunberg

White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said Friday that Barron was in a different category from Thunberg because she's a climate activist "who travels the world giving speeches."

Grisham's statement came one day after President Trump attacked TIME Magazine's decision to dub Thunberg "Person of the Year."

"So ridiculous," Trump tweeted. "Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!"

MEGHAN MCCAIN: TIME'S 'PERSON OF THE YEAR' SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE WHISTLEBLOWER, NOT GRETA THUNBERG

After Trump's attack, some accused Melania Trump of hypocrisy given that she had just defended her son Barron against a Stanford University law professor who mentioned him during a House Judiciary Committee impeachment hearing.

"A minor child deserves privacy and should be kept out of politics. Pamela Karlan, you should be ashamed of your very angry and obviously biased public pandering, and using a child to do it," the first lady said in response to a quip by Pamela Karlan.

TIME NAMES GRETA THUNBERG ITS 2019 PERSON OF THE YEAR

The first lady frequently receives criticism over the apparent irony in her fronting the "Be Best" anti-cyber-bullying campaign given her husband's habit of mocking political opponents and others on Twitter.

“It is no secret that the president and first lady often communicate differently — as most married couples do,” Grisham said.

Former first lady Michelle Obama encouraged Thunberg while traveling in Vietnam this week, saying, “don’t let anyone dim your light,”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Mrs. Obama added: “Like the girls I’ve met in Vietnam and all over the world, you have so much to offer us all. Ignore the doubters and know that millions of people are cheering you on.”

Thunberg responded to Trump's attack by changing her Twitter profile description to describe herself as a "teenager working on her anger management problem."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Original Article