China’s president warns coronavirus outbreak is far from over

Medical staff checking passengers arriving from Iran in the airport in Najaf, Iraq, Friday, Feb. 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Anmar Khalil)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 6:38 PM PT — Friday, February 21, 2020

China’s president has warned that the coronavirus outbreak will likely get worse before it gets better.

While speaking to some of his top officials on Friday, President Xi Jinping said the peak of the outbreak has not yet been reached. Xi’s remarks came as other Chinese officials assured governments around the world the outbreak will soon be over.

However, the World Health Organization (WHO) recently said more needs to be done to contain the disease.

“The window of opportunity is still there, but our window of opportunity is narrowing,” stated WHO Director Tedros Adhanom. “That is why we called the international community to act, and that is why I explained yesterday (that) although we are asking for the international community to act quickly, that is not what we see.”

The outbreak has so far taken the lives of more than 2,000 people. The disease has also dealt a heavy blow to China’s economy after the country was forced to close a significant number of factories.

RELATED: Coronavirus Spreads In China Prisons, Korean Church As Fears Weigh On Global Markets

Original Article

China’s president warns coronavirus outbreak is far from over

Medical staff checking passengers arriving from Iran in the airport in Najaf, Iraq, Friday, Feb. 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Anmar Khalil)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 6:38 PM PT — Friday, February 21, 2020

China’s president has warned that the coronavirus outbreak will likely get worse before it gets better.

While speaking to some of his top officials on Friday, President Xi Jinping said the peak of the outbreak has not yet been reached. Xi’s remarks came as other Chinese officials assured governments around the world the outbreak will soon be over.

However, the World Health Organization (WHO) recently said more needs to be done to contain the disease.

“The window of opportunity is still there, but our window of opportunity is narrowing,” stated WHO Director Tedros Adhanom. “That is why we called the international community to act, and that is why I explained yesterday (that) although we are asking for the international community to act quickly, that is not what we see.”

The outbreak has so far taken the lives of more than 2,000 people. The disease has also dealt a heavy blow to China’s economy after the country was forced to close a significant number of factories.

RELATED: Coronavirus Spreads In China Prisons, Korean Church As Fears Weigh On Global Markets

Original Article

Pompeo warns governors about doing business with China

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo gestures while speaking during his and Belarus Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei join news conference following the talks in Minsk, Belarus, Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 10:15 AM PT — Sunday, February 9, 2020

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is advising governors across the nation to be careful when doing business with China.

“When it comes to doing business, I’m asking you to adopt a cautious mindset,” he said. “In the words of President Reagan, when you are approached for introduction or a connection to a deal, ‘trust, but verify.’”

On Saturday, he warned governors the country could be “targeting individual states” for political and economic gain.

“Competition with China is not just a federal issue, that’s why I wanted to be here today, Governor Hogan,” said Pompeo. “It’s happening in your states with consequences for our foreign policy, for the citizens that reside in your states and, indeed, for each of you.”

FILE – In this Sept. 16, 2018, file photo, American flags are displayed together with Chinese flags in Beijing. (AP Photo/Andy Wong, File)

The secretary noted the Chinese government has “assessed” each governor, ranking them as “friendly, “hardline” or “ambiguous.” He added there are communist China followers in dozens of states across the nation, who are attempting to influence local governments.

“The Chinese government has been methodical in the way it has analyzed our system,” stated Pompeo. “It’s assessed our vulnerabilities and it has decided to exploit our freedom (in order) to gain advantage over us at the federal, state and the local level.”

The U.S. has also pressured partner nations against doing business with Chinese tech company Huawei amid concerns their government is using devices to spy on users.

Original Article

House Ethics Committee warns against posting ‘deepfakes’

(Reuters File Photo)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 11:46 AM PT — Thursday, January 30, 2020

The 2020 election cycle is in full swing and Congress is issuing a warning about doctored videos. In a recent memo, the House Ethics Committee stated that posting deep fakes or other audio-visual distortions intended to mislead the public may be in violation of the code of official conduct. The Committee added, politicians could face “repercussions for tweets and Facebook posts which are misleading

‘Deepfakes’ are synthetic media in which can depict people saying and doing things that never happened. Researchers have said the deceiving technology is equivalent to stealing someone’s identity.

“The most important thing is actually that people know that this is possible, right? If they wouldn’t know, then they could easily be fooled. If they know that there are ways to actually create better manipulations that are extremely believable, then we will have some way of protection, right?”

— Hao Li, Associate Professor of Computer Science – University of Southern California

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) previously drew criticism when he tweeted an image of former President Obama with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, which is an encounter that never happened.

Last year, a manipulated video of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi appearing to be drunk went viral across social media platforms. Pelosi accused Facebook of acting as an “accomplice for misleading the American people.”

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., meets with reporters during the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, at the Capitol in Washington, Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Shortly thereafter, the social media giant announced it would ban ‘deepfake’ videos and would continue to fight online manipulation.

“I think deepfakes are clearly one of the emerging threats that we need to get in front of and develop policy around to address, I think that this is a very important area,” stated Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. “The ‘deepfake’ challenge to figure out how to identify these things will certainly help inform the policy and this is one of the areas that are important moving forward.”

The Senate Homeland Security Committee approved bipartisan legislation, which would allow the Department of Homeland Security to study videos and the technology behind them.

With the November election approaching and months of campaigning ahead, lawmakers on both sides the aisle are united in the effort to stop ‘deepfakes.’

RELATED: U.S. lawmakers say Facebook steps to tackle ‘deepfake’ videos not adequate

Original Article

Bloomberg warns ‘Medicare-for-all’ would reelect Trump, pitches plan to build on ObamaCare

closeMichael Bloomberg, Joe Biden warn Democrats over UK election resultsVideo

Michael Bloomberg, Joe Biden warn Democrats over UK election results

Moderate Democratic presidential candidates sound the alarm over Conservative Party's landslide victory in U.K.'s general election.

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg slammed his Democratic presidential primary rivals on Thursday for their “Medicare-for-all” proposals, claiming their plans are “more likely to reelect Donald Trump” than they are to bring health insurance to more Americans.

Bloomberg, who was speaking at a library in Memphis, Tenn., was announcing his own health care proposal when he tore into the “Medicare-for-all” plans being pushed by fellow candidates such as Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

“We don’t need Medicare-for-all proposals that are more likely to reelect Donald Trump than expand coverage,” Bloomberg said.

BLOOMBERG ON HIS 2020 DEM RIVALS: 'TRUMP WOULD JUST EAT THEM UP'

Bloomberg instead proposed a “Medicare-like public option” that would be administered by the federal government but paid for by customer premiums. The plan would first target uninsured, low-income residents in states that haven’t expanded Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

The billionaire businessman also wants Medicare to include an optional policy covering dental, hearing and vision care, and to require all states to cover oral health services for adults in Medicaid, along with capping out-of-network charges at 200 percent of Medicare rates.

“My proposal will build on what works, President Obama’s Affordable Care Act [ACA],” Bloomberg said. “We'll make sure that people who like their private insurance can keep private insurance, while also providing coverage to the uninsured.”

Bloomberg on 2020 Democrats: Trump would eat them upVideo

Additionally, Bloomberg’s own proposal calls for lengthening the sign-up period for buying health insurance through the ACA, which has been shortened under President Trump from 90 days to 45 days. If elected president, he would defend ObamaCare as it faces a lawsuit brought by Texas and other states threatening to overturn the health care law, the candidate added.

“During his first two years in office, the number of uninsured people in America increased by two million,” Bloomberg said of President Trump. “Today thanks to Donald Trump, more Americans do not have insurance, more Americans have to decide between going to the doctors or putting food on the table.”

THE LATEST FROM FOX NEWS ON THE 2020 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN

He added: “The president has never proposed a plan to cover the 20 million people who would lose coverage” by scrapping ObamaCare.

The former New York City mayor’s health care plan also would require all insurance plans to meet the standards set under the ACA such as covering maternal care and preexisting conditions.

2020 hopeful Michael Bloomberg slams Trump for immigration policiesVideo

To pay for the plan, Bloomberg said that the proposal would cost approximately $1.5 trillion over 10 years and would be offset by policies that lower costs, including capping provider payments, ending surprise medical bills, negotiating drug prices and reforming Part D. He said some of the funding would also come from the existing federal budget.

His campaign said that more details on how he plans to pay for the plan will be released in the coming weeks.

Bloomberg’s plan is similar to ones proposed by some of the more moderate Democratic presidential hopefuls such as former Vice President Joe Biden and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Biden’s plan calls for expanding the ACA — the signature health care law created during then-President Barack Obama’s administration in which Biden served as vice president — along with pushing to add a “public option” that would allow people to select a government health insurance plan, while others could continue using their private insurance.

Majority of voters now support option to buy into MedicareVideo

“I understand the appeal to Medicare-for-All. But folks supporting it should be clear that it means getting rid of Obamacare. And I’m not for that,” Biden said over the summer. “I was very proud the day I stood there with Barack Obama and he signed that legislation.”

Buttigieg's health plan would offer a public option that includes automatic and retroactive enrollment for anyone without a private plan.

Original Article

AG Barr warns against ‘political’ impeachment, hits back at Comey in Fox News interview

closeAttorney General William Barr slams FBI's handling of Russia probeVideo

Attorney General William Barr slams FBI's handling of Russia probe

Barr takes issue with several findings in DOJ inspector general Michael Horowitz's report on alleged FISA abuse; David Spunt reports from the Justice Department.

Attorney General Bill Barr, in an interview Wednesday with Fox News, warned that impeachment could be "trivialized" by Democrats' efforts to remove President Trump, while also firing back at ex-FBI Director James Comey's reaction to the Justice Department inspector general's report on the Russia investigation.

Barr sat down with Martha MacCallum as the House of Representatives was debating two articles of impeachment ahead of an expected floor vote. The top law enforcement officer noted that the Constitution specifically includes a high standard for impeachment, and said he does not believe the allegations against President Trump meet that standard.

COMEY ACCUSES BARR OF 'IRRESPONSIBLE STATEMENT' ON FBI CONDUCT

"As a general matter, I think we have to be careful about trivializing the process and they put in a hurdle of high crimes — of treason, bribery and other high crimes," Barr told "The Story with Martha MacCallum" in an interview scheduled to air Wednesday night. "The articles of impeachment here do not allege a violation of law, and it looks as if it’s going to be along partisan lines — I think — you know, I’m concerned about it being trivialized and used as a political tool."

WATCH ATTORNEY GENERAL BARR ON FOX NEWS' 'THE STORY' WEDNESDAY AT 7 PM ET

House Republicans made similar arguments as members of both parties took to the House floor throughout the day Wednesday. They clashed over articles of impeachment against Trump alleging abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, in connection with his efforts to pressure Ukraine to launch investigations of Democrats as his administration withheld aid. GOP members have claimed that abuse of power is not a statutory crime, and that if Democrats had a problem with Trump asserting privilege when he instructed witnesses not to comply with requests to testify, they should have gone to the courts.

Barr also addressed comments made by Comey in the wake of Inspector General (IG) Michael Horowitz's report and subsequent testimony regarding the FBI's conduct during the Russia probe. Horowitz found that FBI officials misled the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) through inaccuracies and omissions in warrant applications for the surveillance of former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.

WATCH BILL BARR'S INTERVIEW ON 'THE STORY WITH MARTHA MACCALLUM WEDNESDAY NIGHT

Comey was defensive of the FBI during an interview on "Fox News Sunday," insisting that the report did not show that agents engaged in any intentional misconduct. Horowitz did say that the investigation was launched properly and that he did not see evidence of political bias. Still, he has also said that the motivation behind the FBI's actions remains unknown.

Comey: 'I was wrong' to say FISA process was 'followed'Video

"There are so many errors, we couldn’t reach a conclusion or make a determination on what motivated those failures other than we did not credit what we lay out here were the explanations we got," Horowitz told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee during a Wednesday hearing.

This is similar to what Barr said during an NBC News interview after the report's release.

"These irregularities, these misstatements, these omissions were not satisfactorily explained, and I think that leaves open the possibility to infer bad faith," he said.

Yet Comey called this "an irresponsible statement," telling Fox News' Chris Wallace that Barr "does not have a factual basis as the Attorney General of the United States to be speculating that agents acted in bad faith."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Barr said he does not view the situation the same way as the former FBI director.

"One of the things that I object to is the tack being taken by Comey, which is to suggest that people who are criticizing or trying to get to the bottom of the misconduct are somehow attacking the FBI. I think that is nonsense," Barr said. "We’re criticizing and concerned about misconduct by a few actors at the top of the FBI, and they should be criticized if they engaged in serious misconduct."

Original Article

After Trump’s 9th Circuit pick confirmed, Biden warns of 2nd term ‘death grip’ on federal courts: report

closeFox News Flash top headlines for Dec. 11Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for Dec. 11

Fox News Flash top headlines for Dec. 11 are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com

While Democrats in Congress have been conducting impeachment hearings in recent weeks, President Trump has been filling judicial vacancies in the federal court system at a rapid clip – and that appears to have potential 2020 opponent Joe Biden worried.

“Look at how the federal court system is changing,” Biden told a group in Las Vegas on Tuesday night, according to a reporter for ABC News. “Four more years of the same kind of appointments, you’re going to see a court system that is fundamentally, for two generations, locked in a way that’s a death grip that does not make any sense.

“It’s as if Robert Bork would be the chief justice, God rest his soul,” Biden added, referring to the Ronald Reagan Supreme Court nominee whose appointment Democrats blocked in 1987. Bork died in 2012 at age 85.

TRUMP NOMINATES WAVE OF CALIFORNIA JUDGES, IN FRESH BID TO RESHAPE COURTS

In a 53-40 vote Tuesday, the U.S. Senate confirmed Trump appointee Patrick Bumatay, a San Diego federal prosecutor, to a seat on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, making him the 49th circuit appointee to be confirmed under the Trump administration, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

Trump was able to get Bumatay confirmed to the San Francisco-based court despite opposition to the nomination from California’s two Democratic U.S. senators, Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris.

Bumatay, 41, a son of Filipino immigrants, is openly gay and is raising twin daughters with his husband, the newspaper reported.

The Senate is expected to vote on another 9th Circuit nominee — Lawrence Van Dyke, a former solicitor general for Nevada – on Wednesday, potentially giving Trump another appointee on the traditionally liberal-leaning court, the Union-Tribune reported.

TRUMP-SHAPED 9TH CIRCUIT HANDS WHITE HOUSE MAJOR WIN ON ASYLUM POLICY

When the Senate confirmed a Trump pick for the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in late November, that court became the third to shift to a Republican-appointed majority since the president took office in January 2017.

In an 80-15 vote, the Senate confirmed Barbara Lagoa to the 11th Circuit seat previously held by Judge Stanley Marcus, a Clinton appointee who sat on the appeals court that handles cases from Florida, Georgia and Alabama since 1997.

Trump administration secures another judicial victoryVideo

Lagoa, the first Cuban-American woman confirmed to the 11th Circuit, tilted that court, which was previously split between six Republican appointees and six Democratic appointees, to a GOP-appointed majority.

Trump's nominees alone now hold five of the 12 seats on the 11th Circuit.

During the previous week, confirmation of Steven Menashi, Trump’s pick for the 2nd Circuit, flipped that court to a Republican majority.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Trump has also flipped the 3rd Circuit.

Lagoa was Trump's 48th nominee confirmed to a circuit court seat, giving the president double the number of circuit judges then-President Barack Obama had gotten through by the same point in his presidency, according to a count by the Heritage Foundation.

Fox News’ Tyler Olson contributed to this story.

Original Article