Judge in Roger Stone’s case schedules phone conference ahead of sentencing date

In this Feb. 21, 2019, photo, former campaign adviser for President Donald Trump, Roger Stone, leaves federal court in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 1:49 PM PT — Sunday, February 16, 2020

The case of Roger Stone took a new turn just days ahead of his sentencing. On Sunday, Judge Amy Berman Jackson called for an on-the-record telephone conference for this coming Tuesday with attorneys from both sides. It’s not clear what the discussion will focus on.

This came amid speculation that President Trump could pardon Stone after the DOJ moved to alter its sentencing recommendation last week.

FILE- In this Oct. 4, 2018, file photo Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., arrives at the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)

Meanwhile, some Republican senators said Stone is facing a disproportionately tough sentence.

“Roger Stone is pretty good at bad decisions and nobody would confuse him with Alexander Hamilton,” stated Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.). “Being, Mr. Stone’s status as a chucklehead is not a criminal act.”

The upcoming conference comes after Stone’s attorneys filed a motion for a new trial last week amid allegations of potential juror bias.

RELATED: Attorneys For Roger Stone Request New Trial

Original Article

Federal judge blocks Trump plan to spend millions in military funds on border wall construction

closeDemocrats call out Trump for lack of progress on border wallVideo

Democrats call out Trump for lack of progress on border wall

National Border Patrol Council Brandon Judd on President Trump's border wall progress.

A federal judge in Texas has blocked the Trump administration from using $3.6 billion earmarked for the military to fund border wall construction.

District Court Judge David Briones, a Bill Clinton appointee, ruled in an El Paso court Tuesday that the money cannot be diverted to build 175 miles of steel barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The El Paso County and Border Network for Human Rights sued the administration in October, claiming President Trump overstepped his authority when he issued a national emergency declaration to get additional funds for the wall — his signature 2016 campaign promise.

IN SAN DIEGO, OFFICIALS SAY NEW WALL IS HELPING BRING BORDER NUMBERS DOWN

Acting CBP commissioner says new border wall gives Border Patrol a 'fighting chance'Video

Congress had already given him $1.375 billion for wall construction.

Briones ruled in October to temporarily halt the president's plan to use the Pentagon funds. His Tuesday ruling only applies to the $3.6 billion, not other money available to the administration, including funds from counter-drug operations.

In September, Defense Secretary Mark Esper signed off on spending the $3.6 billion, provoking outcry from Democrats and immigration-rights advocates.

Kristy Parker, an attorney with the nonprofit group Protect Democracy who represented the plaintiffs, described Trump's declaration as a power grab.

Supreme Court clears way for Trump administration to use Pentagon funds for border wall constructionVideo

"Today’s order affirms that the president is not a king and that our courts are willing to check him when he oversteps his bounds," Parker said in a statement. "This is a huge win for democracy and the rule of law.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Earlier this year, the Supreme Court paved the way for the administration to use $2.5 billion in Pentagon funds to replace existing fencing in California, Arizona and New Mexico.

The Trump administration is expected to appeal Tuesday's decision.

Original Article